2021: We’re Always Open For Business

Looking for website support and maintenance or  WordPress website design? Get in touch!

Updating from Joomla 2.5.28

Updating Joomla has become simpler since the great steps required in earlier versions. Though there are a number of steps required to getting from the now unsupported 2.5.28 to Joomla 3.

These steps are documented here: https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_2.5_to_3.x_Step_by_Step_Migration and include reminders about having up to date extensions that will be compatible with Joomla 3.x, the correct version of PHP, to turn off the all important Remember Me plugin and to set error reporting to Maximum.

But since the automatic update under Components > Joomla Update, changed from version 3.3.6 to 3.4.1 there have been some further complications.

These are issues I had found in making the update to 3.4.1 – please be careful to Google your own error messages as they may differ from what I found.

  • I couldn’t always find the Joomla Update Component, so I needed to add it using the SQL Query found here: https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_Update_Missing_in_from_Admin_Menu
    • UPDATE #__menu
      SET component_id =
        (SELECT extension_id FROM #__extensions WHERE name = "com_joomlaupdate")
      WHERE title = "com_joomlaupdate"
  • By making the update to the menu, the component should be installed using Discover
  • After several attempts at updating and then restoring the website on staging server, I was advised to use the Update file for Joomla 3.3.6, uploaded via the Extension Manager
  • Once I’d updated to Joomla 3.3.6 I discovered and issue with pages not showing along the lines of:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on null
  • This was resolved by copying the fof directory within Libraries from the Update zip file. See Akeeba’s Framework on Framework for more information as this needs to be done with care
  • In some cases I got a database error along the lines of ‘Unknown column ‘header’ in ‘field list’ SQL=SELECT `new_url`,`header`… which was fixed with reference to this discussion: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/5953
  • Once I’d got these things covered a button appeared in the dashboard inviting me to update to Joomla 3.4.1
  • Having backed up I then updated. The final thing I had to do was check the database structure under Extensions > Extension Manager > Database as it told me I needed to update there too

NB I am documenting this as it may be of help to others updating Joomla but this should not be used as a set of instructions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.